Remember Me Thursday
Pets lovers from around the world come together on Remember Me Thursday to shine a light on all orphan pets that are in shelters and rescues while waiting for forever homes. The day unites pet lovers with pet adoption and animal welfare organizations for a common cause. By raising awareness and showing the importance of pet adoption, adoptions increase, euthanasia decreases, and puppy mills decrease.
A large component of the day is the lighting of candles. Real candles are lit at events often hosted by organizations, and virtual candles are lit online by individuals with rescued pets, who add accompanying messages about their pets to their candles. The idea behind this is to "light up the world for pet orphans" in an effort to help others "see the light" about pet adoption so that orphan pets won't be ignored. Taking to social media on behalf of orphan pets—another integral part of the day—is done in an effort to get the world talking about pet adoption. The Remember Me Thursday Contest is held each year, where three rescue pet advocates are awarded donations of pet food and funds for a rescue or shelter of their choice. The Rescue Pet Hero Award is also given out each year, which recognizes a rescue pet that does something memorable.
How to Observe Remember Me Thursday
There are various ways you could take part in the day:
- Attend a Remember Me Thursday event.
- Use social media to spread awareness about pets waiting in shelters and rescues in an effort to inspire others and to save the lives of pets. Use the hashtags #RememberMeThursday and #SeeTheLight when posting.
- If you have your own rescue pet, share pictures of them online.
- Light a virtual candle or view the virtual candle gallery.
- Organize a candlelight walk with those you know who own adopted pets.
- Take part in the Remember Me Thursday Contest.
- Nominate a pet for or read about the winners of the Rescue Pet Hero Award.
- Adopt a pet from a local shelter or rescue.
- Hold a pet food donation fundraiser for a local shelter or rescue.
- Sign up to get email reminders about the day.
- If you are part of an organization, register your organization to be a participating organization of the day. View current participating organizations and read about what organizations have done on the day. Host a candle-lighting ceremony. Consult the planning guide to help you organize it.