National Mincemeat Day
annually on October 26th
Food & Drink
National Mincemeat Day is a day for mincemeat, a mixture made with minced meats, suet, and fruits, and with spices, and distilled spirits such as brandy. Many modern recipes for mincemeat no longer contain meat, and many times suet—a raw, hard fat—is replaced with vegetable shortening. Recipes for mincemeat date back to medieval times. Mincemeat is most often used in pies, and is popular around the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays.
How to Observe National Mincemeat Day
Celebrate the day by making mincemeat or mincemeat pie. Here are a few recipe ideas:
- Homemade mincemeat without meat or suet.
- Homemade mincemeat with meat and suet.
- Mincemeat pie recipe from 1798 with beef.
- Mincemeat pie with beef suet.
- Mincemeat pie without meat or suet.