Inconvenience Yourself Day
Inconvenience Yourself Day is not merely about inconveniencing oneself, it is about acknowledging others, putting them first, and having a positive effect on their lives. The day helps people become more attentive to others, and realize how their actions impact them. It's about giving oneself some inconvenience, so the day will be less inconvenient for others. It was started by Julie Thompson of the Environmental Resources Network in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.
Inconvenience Yourself Day is observed next on Wednesday, February 26th, 2020. It has been observed the fourth Wednesday in February since 2006.
How to Observe
First, you may want to reflect on what others need and what you can do to help. The day should then be spent acting. Here are a few examples of ways you can inconvenience yourself to help others today:
- Be there for others emotionally. If anyone wants to talk, stop what you are doing and give them your full attention.
- Show kindness to strangers. Inconvenience yourself by letting others in front of you at a store, or hold a door open for them. Allow others to merge ahead of you when you are driving. Park farther away in a parking lot, and leave the closer spaces for others.
- Show kindness to a neighbor or friend. Shovel their driveway or mow their lawn. Let someone else have the last piece of pizza.
- If you are teaching someone how to do something, take extra time to explain things in detail.
- If you have children, make time for them to make them feel appreciated. Put aside other things and give your children your sole focus.
|Observed||First Year||Last Year|
|the fourth Wednesday in February||2006||-|
Julie Thompson in 2006