National Fun at Work Day
Also known as
Fun at Work Day
the last Friday in January
You've likely heard the phrase, "Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life." Some of us may find ourselves blessed with a job we love, while others may dread going in to work each day. Regardless of how your job is on a day to day basis, a point should be made to have fun at work today, because it is National Fun at Work Day.
The holiday is celebrated on the last Friday in January, although some sources say it is celebrated on January 28 no matter what day of the week it falls on. It seems to make more sense to celebrate the day on a Friday, as many workers have been at their jobs all week, and could use a break. On this day, employees and employers find ways to make work environments fun, whether it be by striving to make the actual work more fun, or by escaping from work altogether.
A fun work environment can be beneficial to both individuals and employers. Happy workers are healthier because they have less stress and anxiety, which will lead to higher productivity. There will be less absenteeism and less presenteeism, which is when workers are present but sick. Things outside of work will eventually bring grief to workers, but a happy work environment will help people bounce back more quickly. Both creativity and collaboration between workers will improve if workers are having fun. The public will also want to support a company if it perceives it as having a fun work environment.
How to Observe National Fun at Work Day
There are many ways that you could celebrate National Fun at Work Day:
- Use food to bring fun to the workplace. Have everyone bring a dish on the day, all go out for lunch, or get the boss to approve an extra-long lunch.
- With the boss's blessing, set aside some time to play games at work today. Many games help with team building, which will benefit the company.
- Have a theme day or a dress-up day.
- Decorate the workspace.
- If you are crammed in a cubicle, make an effort to do some walking around the office today and say "hi" to others.
- If you aren't at work today, or don't have a job, try to make work around your house fun.
- Look for some ideas for the day in 301 Ways to Have Fun At Work or The Levity Effect: Why it Pays to Lighten Up.