International Moment of Laughter Day
annually on April 29th (1996 to 1999)
on April 17th (2000)
on an unknown date (2001)
annually on April 14th (since 2002)
Laughter provides short and long-term benefits. In the short term, it increases the intake of air, stimulates organs, releases endorphins in the brain, and improves mood. It loosens up muscles, lowers blood pressure, and leaves one feeling relaxed. In the long term, it can improve the immune system and fight illness, pain, and depression. On top of all this, laughing burns calories! It has a certain power, and International Moment of Laughter Day is "set aside for everyone to take the necessary time to experience" this power. Izzy Gesell, a professional humor consultant, author, and speaker, created the day because he wanted to encourage the whole world to laugh.
How to Observe International Moment of Laughter Day
Izzy Gesell has suggested celebrating the day in the following ways:
- Laughing out loud at the funny cards in a greeting card shop.
- Calling a friend to share a funny story.
- Getting naked, looking in the mirror, and laughing.
- Buy a "laugh-box" in a joke shop and turning it on at work or at home.
- Showing your baby pictures to someone who's never seen them.
- Thinking up your own way to get someone else to laugh with you.
- Or just laughing for no apparent reason at all.
Some other ways you could spend the day include sharing jokes with friends, reading a funny novel, listening to a comedy album, going to a comedy show, watching a funny television show, or watching one of the funniest films of all time.