International Essential Oils Day
annually on July 11th (since 2018)
Young Living Essential Oils in 2018
International Essential Oils Day honors and highlights the benefits of essential oils, raises awareness about sustainable practices for the planet, and pays tribute to D. Gary Young, the founder of Young Living Essential Oils, on the anniversary of his birth. Young Living Essential Oils, based out of Lehi, Utah, asks people celebrating to plant a tree or another botanical, clean up a trail, try a new essential oil, or share an essential oil with a friend. Young Living has donated a percentage of its global sales on the day to the likes of the Young Living Academy in Ecuador and the D. Gary Young Global Leadership Fund for Higher Education.
Essential oils are concentrated compounds extracted from plants through distillation or mechanical methods like cold pressing. The oils contain the essence, or flavor and scent, of a plant. There are more than 100 types of essential oils. Some of the most popular are peppermint, lavender, sandalwood, tea tree, rosemary, bergamot, rose, chamomile, ylang-ylang, jasmine, lemon, sweet orange, eucalyptus, and basil.
Essential oils may have medicinal benefits. Although more research is needed, they are used to treat stress and anxiety, combat headaches and migraines, promote sleep and tackle insomnia, to reduce inflammation, and for their possible antibiotic and antimicrobial effects. They can be used in aromatherapy, where they are inhaled, such as by being diffused. Inhaling them can stimulate the limbic system, the part of the brain that affects emotions, long-term memory, sense of smell, and behaviors, as well as unconscious physiological functions like breathing, heart rate, and blood pressure. They may also be combined with a carrier oil and applied to the skin. Essential oils have non-medicinal uses too, such as being used to freshen laundry, add scent to homes, and make cleaners and cosmetics.
How to Observe International Essential Oils Day
Some ways you could celebrate include:
- Purchase some essential oils. Make sure you are buying pure essential oils, without any additives or synthetic oils. Purchasing from a reputable brand can help ensure this. You could order from Young Living, which regularly donates a percentage of money from their sales on International Essential Oils Day.
- Donate to the Young Living Foundation.
- Try an essential oil you've never tried before. Diffuse it or use it topically.
- Share a new essential oil with a friend.
- Learn more about the many essential oils and their uses.
- Plant a tree or another plant.
- Clean up a trail.