National Hot-Buttered Rum Day
Also known as
Hot-Buttered Rum Day
annually on January 17th
Drugs & Alcohol
Food & Drink
National Hot-Buttered Rum Day is celebrated on January 17th. This day provides the perfect opportunity to try hot buttered rum, a mixed drink that contains rum, butter, hot water or cider, sweetener, and spices such as cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves.
The drink dates back to colonial America, but likely originates from Europe. It's most often enjoyed in the fall and winter, when it's cold and cozy, and has been described as "comfort food in a mug".
The history of this drink includes early recipes from bartender Jerry Thomas in 1862, mentions in bestselling novels like 'Northwest Passage' by Kenneth Roberts in 1937, and variations into a Tiki drink or a modified 'Coffee Grog' in the 1940s.
To celebrate this day, you can try hot buttered rum in new ways, such as hot buttered rum coffee, cider, or even cake. You can also create variations of the drink by adding vanilla or other spices like cardamom. The best way to observe National Hot Buttered Rum Day is to enjoy a mug (or two) of hot buttered rum, either with friends or family or by yourself with a good book.
This day is loved because it makes us feel cozy, satisfies a sweet tooth, and provides a good drink to enjoy with friends and family.
How to Observe National Hot-Buttered Rum Day
- Try a New Recipe: Look up different recipes for hot buttered rum and try a new one. You could experiment with different types of rum or add in new spices.
- Host a Tasting Party: Invite friends or family over for a hot buttered rum tasting party. Everyone can bring a different version of the drink to share.
- Visit a Local Bar or Restaurant: Check out local bars or restaurants that might be serving hot buttered rum in honor of the holiday.
- Bake a Hot Buttered Rum Cake: If you enjoy baking, try making a hot buttered rum cake. It’s a delicious way to enjoy the flavors of the drink in a dessert.
- Share on Social Media: Share your celebration of the day on social media with the hashtag #NationalHotButteredRumDay. You could post a picture of your drink, share your favorite recipe, or just spread the word about the holiday.
Remember, the best way to celebrate is to enjoy a mug of hot buttered rum in a way that makes you happy!