annually on September 13th (since 2016)
Supernatural Day celebrates the television series Supernatural, its cast and crew, its fans, and the journey it has taken everyone on. It celebrates everything the fans love about the show and honors its main characters, the Winchester brothers, and their motto: Saving people, hunting things–the family business. Supernatural Day takes place on September 13, the anniversary of the date in 2005 that the pilot episode premiered. Warner Brothers and the CW partnered with Hot Topic and declared the day on the date in 2016. Hot Topic sold a limited edition Supernatural t-shirt for the first observance, which came with a temporary tattoo. New t-shirt designs for the day have been made in subsequent years. On the day, fans share their favorite moments from the show, share fanworks, take part in cosplay, display their Supernatural tattoos, and tweet appreciation for those involved with the show.
Created by Eric Kripke, Supernatural is a dark fantasy drama television series. Urban legends that had inspired Kripke since his youth inspired the show. It follows the two Winchester brothers, Jensen Ackles as Dean Winchester and Jared Padalecki as Sam Winchester, as they traverse the country in a black 1967 Chevrolet Impala, hunting ghosts, monsters, demons, and other supernatural beings. It is a road trip series, which Kripke dubbed a "modern American Western," where the stories come into fruition as the protagonists arrive in small towns. One of its inspirations was Poltergeist, where horror takes place in a family home, not in some far-off, imagined setting. It also has comedic moments, taking cues from films like Evil Dead II and An American Werewolf in London.
When Supernatural reached its eleventh season, it became the longest-running American live-action fantasy television series. The series also became the longest-running show on the CW network, and even predated the network, starting on the WB. It ended after 15 seasons with 327 episodes, with its final episode airing on November 19, 2020. Much fandom has surrounded the series, and it is celebrated today with Supernatural Day!
How to Observe Supernatural Day
Some ways to mark the occasion include:
- Share your favorite moments from Supernatural online. Tag your posts with #SupernaturalDay.
- Share any fanworks of Supernatural you've created.
- Share photos of any Supernatural tattoos you have online.
- Tweet your appreciation for those who have been involved with the show.
- Take part in Supernatural cosplay.
- Purchase a Supernatural t-shirt from Hot Topic.
- Watch episodes of Supernatural.
- Read a book such as The "Supernatural" Book of Monsters, Spirits, Demons, and Ghouls, Supernatural: John Winchester's Journal, or Supernatural: A History of Television's Unearthly Road Trip.
- Pick up some companion guides by Nicholas Knight.
- Explore the Supernatural Wiki.
- Check if there is an upcoming fan convention you could attend.
- Follow the series on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter.