Houseplant Appreciation Day
annually on January 10th
Created by The Gardener's Network, Houseplant Appreciation Day is for caring for and giving a little extra attention to your houseplants, or to begin growing some if you have none. It's the perfect time to focus on them since winter precludes you from gardening outside. It's also shortly after the new year, meaning you've probably already taken down your Christmas tree or other holiday decorations, leaving your house pretty bare—perhaps you find a neglected houseplant in the corner, or perhaps your find nothing at all. Common houseplants include aloe vera, bamboo, spider plants, rubber plants, and African violets. Houseplants are perfect for in homes because they can grow with low light, low humidity, and in cooler temperatures.
How to Observe Houseplant Appreciation Day
Here are some suggestions for celebrating the day:
- Learn about different types of houseplants.
- Buy one or more houseplants.
- Learn about how to grow houseplants.
- Water the houseplants you already have, and perhaps give them some fertilizer.
- Learn about the health benefits of houseplants.
- Give someone a houseplant as a gift.