Ravenclaw Pride Day
annually on March 23rd
Along with Hufflepuff, Slytherin, and Gryffindor, Ravenclaw is a household in the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, the school in the Harry Potter novels. Ravenclaw Pride Day is part of Hogwarts House Pride Week, along with Hufflepuff Pride Day, Slytherin Pride Day, and Gryffindor Pride Day. It is marked by celebrating Ravenclaws, with the wearing of Ravenclaw colors, and with other Harry Potter related activities.
Ravenclaws find value in and are known for their intelligence, academic prowess, pride, forgiving nature, readiness, cleverness, and creativity. The house was founded by Rowena Ravenclaw, a medieval witch. She had a hand in creating the name and location of Hogwarts, and she helped make the school what it was, particularly when it came to designing its floorplans. Some other Ravenclaw characters are Luna Lovegood, Cho Chang, Gilderoy Lockhart, and Professor Filius Flitwick, the head of Ravenclaw.
The Ravenclaw Common Room is located in one of the towers in Hogwarts Castle, up a tight spiral staircase. Wide and circular, with bookcases, tables, and chairs, the common room has arched windows and a domed ceiling painted like a night sky. A riddle from a knocker shaped like an eagle must be answered to enter the room. In the Harry Potter books, blue and bronze (or blue and gold or yellow) are the Ravenclaw colors. They are blue and silver in the Harry Potter films. The Ravenclaw mascot is an eagle in the books and a raven in most of the films.
How to Observe Ravenclaw Pride Day
Some ways to observe the day include:
- Wear the house colors. Don a blue and bronze scarf. Design and wear your own Ravenclaw costume.
- Celebrate all things Harry Potter. Explore more about Harry Potter at Wizarding World: The Official Home of Harry Potter. Information specific to Ravenclaws can also be found there.
- Post about the day on social media with the hashtag #RavenclawPrideDay.
- Host a Harry Potter party.
- Watch a Harry Potter film.
- Read one of the Harry Potter books.