Global James Bond Day
annually on October 5th (since 2012)
the backers of the 007 series
Global James Bond Day celebrates the Bond franchise and is held on the anniversary of the date on which the first Bond film, Dr. No, premiered in London in 1962. It was first celebrated in 2012, to mark the 50th anniversary of the franchise, with events being held around the globe. For example, the Museum of Modern Art in New York City hosted a film retrospective, while the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences in Los Angeles hosted "Music of Bond Night." There was an auction of Bond memorabilia in the United Kingdom, with the proceeds going to UNICEF. Radio stations played Bond theme songs, and Adele's "Skyfall" was released, which had been recorded for the upcoming Bond film of the same name.
Based on the book by Ian Fleming, Dr. No stars Sean Connery as James Bond, an impeccably-dressed, tuxedo-tailored agent of the British Secret Intelligence Service. Fleming wrote a number of books featuring Bond that became part of the Bond film series. The first, Casino Royale, was released in 1953, and Dr. No hit the shelves in 1958. Fleming's books were adapted to the screen by Albert R. Broccoli and Harry Saltzman, and the series continued following Fleming's death in 1964, with new stories being written by others. James Bond became one of the most successful movie franchises of all time.
James Bond, Agent 007 (pronounced as "double-oh-seven"), started out as a Cold War-era operative but was modernized in the twenty-first century to confront new global realities. He is known for using the latest gadgets, drinking vodka martinis, dressing stylishly, gambling, living a solitary existence, and womanizing, all while bringing international criminals to justice. Bond has been portrayed by a number of actors besides Connery, such as Roger Moore, Pierce Brosnam, and Daniel Craig.
How to Observe Global James Bond Day
Some ways you could celebrate the day include:
- Watch Dr. No or another Bond film.
- Watch Everything or Nothing: The Untold Story of 007, a documentary that commemorated 50 years of Bond films and was released in 2012, the same year that Global James Bond Day was first celebrated.
- Read one of Ian Fleming's James Bond books.
- Visit the Official James Bond Website and Facebook page. Make sure to check for information for any official events or other activities taking place. For instance, prizes have been given out on the Facebook page during past celebrations.
- Plan a trip to a James Bond museum such as the James Bond 007 Museum or 007 Elements.