Choose Women Wednesday
Also known as
#WomenWOW (2014 to 2015)
Women on Wednesday (2014 to 2015)
Women Owned Wednesday (2014 to 2015)
Women Wednesday (2014 to 2015)
the Wednesday after Thanksgiving (since 2014)
This glass ceiling-shattering holiday is for listening to, supporting, and standing up for women. According to the holiday's creator, The Women's Entrepreneurship Day Organization, who is also behind Women's Entrepreneurship Day, "every time you choose one woman, you support all women, everywhere." Choose Women Wednesday takes place on the Wednesday after Thanksgiving, and its creation was inspired by holidays devoted to shopping and giving such as Small Business Saturday and Giving Tuesday. Supporting women-owned businesses is the main focus of the day, but it has the broader goal of closing the gender gap in all areas.
Choose Women Wednesday educates and unites consumers and businesses with the aim of empowering women in business. It celebrates women entrepreneurs and encourages investment in women-owned businesses, with both men and women pledging support to these businesses and women-owned causes. It is also a day to promote and mentor women, choose them as leaders, read books by women authors, watch films made by women, follow women on social media, and share the voices, music, comedy, and technology of women. Choose Women Wednesday started as Women on Wednesday in 2014 and has gone by a few names, such as Women Owned Wednesday, #WomenWOW, WomenWednesday, and Women Wednesday. It was changed to Choose Women Wednesday in 2016.
How to Observe Choose Women Wednesday
Some ideas on how to spend the day include:
- Visit and shop at a business owned by a woman.
- If you are a woman, consider starting your own business. You could also pick up a book about female entrepreneurship to read.
- Follow ChooseWOMEN on Instagram. Use their Instagram filter, make posts about the day, and tag @choosewomen. While posting here or on other social media pages, such as Facebook and Twitter, use the hashtag #ChooseWOMEN.
- Show support for the day by picking up some #ChooseWOMEN merchandise.
- Listen to music made by female artists.
- Watch a film directed by a woman.
- Read a book written by a female author.