Betty Picnic Day
Betty Picnic Day is a day to celebrate anyone named Betty. The origin of this day is unclear, although one source claims that it was possibly started in 1987 by Betty Wilder and Betty Paterson. They were wondering how many people named Betty were around them and put up flyers for a Betty Picnic. As the legend goes, the picnic was a hit and it became an annual event. Betty has been quite a popular name in the United States. According to the Social Security Administration, between the years 1923 and 1940 the name appeared on the top names chosen for girls.
Betty Picnic Day is observed next on Saturday, June 8th, 2019. It has always been observed annually on June 8th.
How to Observe
If your name is Betty, you could try to organize a Betty Picnic. If you know someone named Betty, make sure to remind them about their special day. This is also a good day to learn about some famous Bettys:
- Betty Ford - First lady and wife of President Ford, raised awareness about breast cancer and alcohol and substance abuse, active in social policy
- Betty Friedan - Writer, feminist, author of The Feminine Mystique
- Betty Grable - Actress prominent in the 1930’s and 1940’s
- Betty Shabazz - Civil Rights Activist and wife of Malcolm X
- Betty White - Actress with longest television career of a female entertainer
|Observed||First Year||Last Year|
|annually on June 8th||-||-|