the last Wednesday in August (since 1988)
Lorraine Jara in August 1988
Time, help, and advice are offered on Willing-To-Lend-A-Hand Wednesday. These actions don't have to be anything grand—a small gesture can go a long way. Willing-To-Lend-A-Hand Wednesday is part of Be Kind to Humankind Week, an "annual worldwide celebration of kindness" created in 1988 by Lorraine Jara.
How to Observe Willing-To-Lend-A-Hand Wednesday
Any lending of the hand to a fellow human, whether it be with your time, assistance, or expertise are excellent ways to observe the day. The day's founder has suggested observing it in the following ways:
- Offer to bring in a neighbor's mail if they won't be home for a few days.
- Take an older friend or relative food shopping or to the doctor's office.
- Pick up any trash you see in your neighborhood and put it in the garbage.
- Put recyclables and trash in their appropriate bins.
- Wash the dishes after dinner.
- Help a classmate or coworker with their work.
- Don't leave things messy, clean up after yourself.