Motorist Consideration Monday
Motorist Consideration Monday is dedicated to being considerate, patient, and courteous while traveling, no matter what one's mode of transportation is—whether it be by car, bike, public transportation, or even by walking. The day is part of Be Kind To Humankind Week, "a celebration of people and the kind acts they perform all across the globe," which was created in 1988 by Lorraine Jara of Toms River, New Jersey.
Motorist Consideration Monday is observed next on Monday, August 31st, 2020. It has been observed the last Monday in August since 1988.
How to Observe
Some ways to be a considerate motorist today as suggested by Be Kind To Humankind Week include:
- Move over for emergency vehicles.
- Do not speed.
- Turn on your lights in the daytime so you are more visible to other vehicles.
- Don't pass stopped school buses. Also, kids riding buses should make sure to be considerate to their drivers.
- Don't engage in road rage.
- Don't tailgate or drive aggressively.
- Do not drink and drive.
- Let fellow motorists merge in front of you.
- Yield to pedestrians.
- Wear a safety belt and use child safety seats for all children.
- Don't text and drive.
- Slow down if the weather is bad.
Some other ways to be a considerate motorist today include:
- Leave a safe distance between your vehicle and the one in front of you.
- Drive a safe speed. Base this on the speed limit, but also on factors such as traffic, weather, and road surface.
- Make sure other drivers don't have to brake when you move into their space.
- Use your blinker when turning or changing lanes, and make sure to turn it on far enough in advance.
- Make sure to come to a full stop at stop signs, and never run a red light.
- Don't block intersections.
- Don't pass on the right.
- Drive in the middle or right lanes, instead of in the left lane, which is for passing.
- As a pedestrian, make sure to use crosswalks.
- As a cyclist, make sure to use hand signals and to wear a helmet.
|Observed||First Year||Last Year|
|the last Monday in August||1988||-|
Lorraine Jara in August 1988